Monday, October 20, 2008

Bavarian Hot Pot for Suppa Club - YUM!


Bavarian Hot Pot, originally uploaded by ktes750.

This picture does not do this dish justice. I made this for a large crew of people (10) this weekend and it was a big hit with everyone except my picky eater. Instead of Kielbasa, I used polish sausage that I picked up at Detroit's Eastern Market. It had a bit of spice to it already. I made few other changes to the recipe other than adding more of everything to feed a larger group. I omitted the peas as it seemed to have plenty of veggies already and I didn't have them on hand. I also discovered near the end that I don't have marjoram so I threw in a bit of italian spice mix instead.

Well, now that I read through this, I guess I didn't really follow directions either since I didn't peel my potatoes, cut my carrots small, cut my beans up or make homemade beef broth. However, it got rave reviews from kids and adults and I sent the recipe home with our company at their request. What little I had left was great the next day!

Bavarian Sausage Hot Pot
Serves 6


1 pound cabbage, cored and sliced 1/2-inch thick

2 medium-sized carrots, peeled and sliced 1/4-inch thick

6 ounces green beans, tipped and snapped into 1-inch lengths

1 pound Maine or Eastern potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes

2 cups shelled fresh green peas or frozen green peas (donot thaw)

3 cups rich beef broth (preferably homemade)

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1/8 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg

1 teaspoon caraway seeds

1 teaspoon dried leaf marjoram, crumbled

3/4 pound knockwurst or kielbasa, sliced 1/4-inch-thick

2 tablespoons coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley


Place the cabbage, carrots, beans, potatoes, the fresh peas, if using, the broth, salt, pepper, and nutmeg in a large heavy kettle (pot). Set over moderate heat and bring to a boil. Adjust the heat so the broth bubbles gently, cover, and cook without stirring for 20 minutes. Add the caraway seeds, marjoram, knockwurst, and frozen peas, if using, and toss lightly to mix. Re-cover and simmer 10 minutes. Add the parsley, toss lightly, and serve in soup plates with crusty chunks of bread.

Source: www.epicurious.com

6 comments:

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Kristin, Hi!
Your picture came out well better than mine, but I agree and said the same thing in my post....pictures just do not do this dish justice! (not mine anyway) My family loved it as well. I, too gave out the recipe, and I also, left out the peas. Great minds, huh! :-)
~ingrid

Anonymous said...

This one definately was tough to photograph. Yours does look yummy! I guess all that matters is the taste, and it was good.

Anonymous said...

Hi. I'm Kirstin's husband Mike. I just thought I should add that this "suppa" was delicious! Not only did I have two servings at dinner, but I also gladly ate leftovers for a few days afterward. Yum!

In the interest of full disclosure: I am extremely biased toward Kirstin as I believe--through long experience and personal observation--that most everything she cooks is exceptional. I love her art work too! And, most importantly, she is a wonderful wife and mother and takes very good care of us.

Mike.

P.S.: Can I have seconds now?

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Kirstin, awww, how cool that your husband reads AND comments on your blog!!! I'm jealous here! Joe are you out there.......

I can't wait to see what you choose for our "suppa" when it's your turn. Sure hope Mike likes what I picked, oh, the pressure. I'd hate to mess you up! LOL!
~ingrid

Leah said...

that looks SO good!

Unknown said...

Kirstin,
Food is good and all but,...where is the Scrabble Game board and who goes first!
-George